Though there was not the same euphoria as there was when they won their first all-Ireland senior hurling hurling club title in 1976, there was great jubilation in The Village on the evening of May 16,1982, when the Kilkenny county champions beat Mount Sion by 3-13 to 3-8. This was not by any means a brilliant game but it featured a great fight back for Jarnes Stephens when led by seven points at one stage. They brought it down to a single point only to see the Waterford side go ahead again with a goal. The Village retrieved the situation again and finished with a great flourish to get home by a respectable margin of five points.
    Mount Sion, despite their great tradition, were in the final for the first time.
    This is a game that John McCormack will like to look back on as he scored three goals. Joe Hennessy, Mick Crotty, Phil Larkin and Billy Walton also left their imprint on the game. When John joe Cullen was fouled, Billy Walton pointed the free after two minutes. Mick Crotty and Jim Greene exchanged points and then Jim Greene tacked on two points to level the scores. The scores were still level when Crotty and Greene again added points. Billy Walton then had two points but Mount Sion supporters were cheering when Anthony Cooney shot to the net andJim Greene, who was in brilliant form, put on a point to leave the Waterford side in front by 1-5 to 0-6. Things looked blue enough for The Village when John Dalton had a goal and Cooney and Greene a point each to leave them leading by 2-7 to 0-6.
    What might be regarded as the turning point came when a good centre by Billy Walton, which appeared to be going wide, was tipped into the net by John McCormack. Torn McCormack sent over a lovely point reducing the lead to a point. But Mount Sion struck again when John Dalton had his second goal which left the Waterford side 3-7 to 1-9 in front. But James Stephens were not finished yet. Undismayed by the reverse, they hit back in style when Fan Larkin moved out to midfield to take a pass from Paddy Neary from a cut-in. His long delivery dropped in the Mount Sion goalmouth and Jhn McCormack tapped it home. (Jim Greene put the losers a point ahead but Ned Kelly levelled - the fourth time the sides were level.)
    Jim Greene spelled danger again when forcing his way through the Village defence but the referee stopped him and gave a free out for an oil-the-ball infringement.
    Mick Crotty dispossessed Denis Shefflin and kicked the ball forward for John McCormack to finish to the net. Billy Walton had two more points before the end.
    Mick Moore in goal, Paddy Neary, Martin Hennessy, Denis McCormack, Ned Kelly and Phil Larkin were best for The Village but it was a team effort with every member pulling his full weight.
    John McCormack was in brilliant form, hitting a hat-trick of goals, while Billy Walton contributed 0-10. Others to score were Mick Crotty, Tom McCorrnack and Ned Kelly, who contributed a point each.

    Billy Walton will remember the game if for no other reason than that it was his birthday - his 21st. Mick Moore was able to recall that he played with St. Kieran's College when they beat Limerick C. B. S. in the All-Ireland Colleges' final on May 16, 1965 - 17 years exactly before.