22 April 2014
This page gives you a brief taste of events in the club on a week by week basis.
1. The Kells Road Development Draw will take place on Wednesday 30 April at 8.30pm. Promoters and supporters are most welcome along on the night. All attendees are eligible for extra prizes and can sample Catherine Kinsella's tea and cakes and enjoy the chat. We continue to depend on the Draw to complete paying for the dressing rooms. The final year of the Draw begins in May and we urge all our supporters to enter. You will be able to see the final product within a few weeks!
2. Congratulations to Village stalwart, Jimmy Rhatigan who celebrated a significant birthday on Saturday night last in the club. It was a great occasion and illustrated how excellent a venue the club rooms are for parties or events. Keep it in mind for your own celebrations, big or small.
3. Our senior footballers fell at the quarter final stage last week against a strong Railyard side by 2-10 to 1-5. Short of most of our first team, a mixture of youth and veterans played very well and could have snatched an unlikely win but for missing two goal chances midway through the second half.
4. Social Club Secretary, Emmet Cooney is a volunteer with Diabetes Ireland. Emmet is currently involved in a DI campaign collecting copper coins, called 'It makes Cents'. An official collection box has been installed in the club rooms. We ask all members to support a very worthy public health fundraising initiative
5. Well done to our junior hurlers who have registered two good wins in recent weeks, against Ballyhale Shamrocks (1-14 to 0-12) and John Lockes (1-15 to 0-11). One more victory will ensure a place in the knock out stages. Keep up the good work, Jimmy O'Brien and selectors!!
6. The Social Club will hold a fundraising cabaret on Saturday 3 May in the club rooms from 9.00pm. Tickets are €3, 2/€5. Music will be provided by Willie Maher and there will be a raffle on the night. support welcome.
7. Progress is accelerating on the Kells Road this week with Scanlon Bros beginning the painting, Tom Lawlor and Sean Brennan working on internal seating, Dugouts arriving on Thursday, Barrier nets being erected, and Peadar Dooley commencing work on the pitch fence in the next few days.
8. A big thanks to Sean Doyle who organised the planting of almost 2500 ash saplings (resistant to ash dieback). Well done to the crew of volunteers who have worked on the project that in time, hopefully, will provide hurley material for future players. Thanks to our Tús men Irek and James, and Joe Brennan who continue to keep our new premises looking so well.
9. Dan Cody, Richie Manogue and their team are busy working on the club Golf Classic which will take place as usual in Kilkenny Golf Club on 3/4 July. It has proved to be one of the most enduring and high quality events on the classic calendar. Team entry is €200 per team of 4. Entries to any committee member.
10. For all fixtures and results tracking you should check out www.kilkennygaa.ie In our digital age, all fixture notifications are made through this excellent
up to date service.
7. The WEEKLY LOTTO results are detailed in our Lotto section on this website. thanks to all of our subscribers, our Lotto is thriving and is a mainstay of the hurling club activities. Many thanks to our Lotto sellers who do great work every week.